Tuesday 8 February 2011

Nick Tatham - 23 - Singer / Song Writer

My most common symptoms are vocal tics and facial movements. I involuntarily say things like "yeah, yeah" but I don't swear. Most people are fine about it. Sometimes you get moody sods who tell you to stop it but the people I know are fine. Sometimes strangers do stare in the street but, at the end of the day, you get so used to it. Different people have different experiences.It's really their problem and not mine. There's so much to Tourette's - it's one big roller coaster ride. The Tourette's becomes a part of you. You have an amazing time and then you have downs. You are born with Tourette's but it doesn't show itself straight away. It's something that crept up by the time I was seven and at 11 I was in Great Ormond Street with it. I was badly bullied at school and when I was young. People imitated it and things like that. No-one likes to be bullied just because they've got something wrong with them. Tourette's is like someone wearing glasses, or having a hand a different size to another. People can single you out but that happens if you're slightly different. It's definitely ignorance. But you move on and it's an experience. I have written songs about Tourette's. The most recent song I've recorded started out being called Tourette Blues. It's now evolved into a song called Different.

No comments:

Post a Comment